Sunday, August 28, 2011

Table for one please!

What do you mean you won't seat me? I got snubbed this week trying to dine at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse in Chicago. Was it because I was by myself? Apparently, asking for a table for one at 6:00pm on a Thursday night is not something they welcome, unless they noticed my $40 Gucci knockoff purse and assumed I couldn't afford their pricing.  They told me that they were booked for the evening and that I was welcome to sit downstairs in the bar.....which was a jam packed sausage fest that no happily married woman should've entered. As I saw their empty dining room (all but 3 tables), I decided to leave and order my Absolut easy-dirty shaken well with regular olives, up martini and a shrimp cocktail elsewhere.  This is when I decided to make "Chowhound Chick" official.


Well, it's official. Now what?

I don't want this blog to be about my life being a blond female and my frustration with strangers taking one look at me thinking I know nothing about food. I don't want this to be about my auditions for the TV show Check Please! where I made it past the first round (twice) and them not calling me for the next round once they saw my picture.  What I do want, is for this to be a source for finding the best.....whatever you are in the mood for that day. Whether it is a piece of Chicago deep-dish, a slice of my favorite cheesecake, the best spicy tuna roll, a blueberry muffin, or a mochi ball, I hope the Chowhound can at least send you in the right direction.   

I am not much of a dare-devil when it comes to food. I don't like foam on my dinner plate, but I find myself inadvertently critiquing anything and everything food-related that I enjoy, and it seems to be more of the simple things like a cold salad plate or the perfect amount of seasoning on a steak. I just finished a deep-dish pizza tour (Due's is my favorite followed by Silo-in Lake Bluff, IL), an Italian beef sandwich tour (Al's on Taylor Street rocks b/c of the gardiner relish-although their portions are way too small), and an always on-going best burger tour (that deserves it's own post).

My next mission will be to find Chicago's best blueberry muffin and chocolate chip cookies. So far Cafe De Luca is leading the race for blueberry muffins (make sure you get there before 9:00am) and Starbucks has my leading Choc Chip cookie (although my sister-in-law makes a mean batch).

Who's hungry?

3 comments:

  1. You are so right about Al's Beef! Great sandwich, but made for a 5 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll challenge you to a beef sandwich from Duke's on Harlem. Best beef ever...........after the blueberry muffin (too many points) search, I'd like you to join me in the search for the perfect turkey burger in Chitown. I think we might have already found it, but it will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best burger in Chicago - try Rosebuds Steakhouse on Walton St. DMK on Sheffield is damn good too.
    Mariamou Sims

    ReplyDelete